(1) Learning Pilates from other than a real live instructor is not easy,
and does carry some slight risks. You should (in addition to these notes)
attend a course of certified Pilates mat sessions.
This is the safest way to learn, and it's also a lot of fun!
(2) Please ensure that you are competent in "Pilates Contrology".
(free pdf e-book).
Setup for The Single Straight Leg Stretch:
Action for The Single Straight Leg Stretch:
- Lie on your back.
- Head up, eyes on your belly.
- Lengthen both legs long to the ceiling.
- Scoop your abs; clench your butt and roll your shoulder blades away from your ears.
Classic Pilates Cueing:
- Grasp one leg just above the ankle, and pull it twice toward your shoulders, while letting the other leg
lower half way to the floor.
- Switch and repeat for the opposite leg.
- Keep switching for a total of 16 to 20 switches.
- Breathe in for two switches and our for two switches.
- Pull pull switch!
- Lengthen your head away from your shoulders and up off the floor.
(Classical Pilates Technique: The Single Straight Leg Stretch, Scroll right>>>...)
Classical Pilates for Beginners:
The Single Straight Leg Stretch
Level: Beginner, Repetitions: 8-10 each side.
The Double Leg Stretch-
(In the Classical Pilates mat sequence, The Double Leg Stretch preceeds the Single Straight Leg Stretch).
Double Leg Lower Lift-
Stack your open hands behind your head and lengthen your legs up in pilates point...
- Teaches working the powerhouse and maintaining alignment.
- Stretches the hamstrings and works the long hip flexors.
Don't let an injury or weakness stop you!
There is always a modification. Take your time and find the right one for you.
If in doubt, seek advice!
- Keep a perfectly still torso.
- The feet brush past each other.
- Shoulders wide, blades down, tips on the mat.
- Tight hamstrings and/or weak and painful hip flexors (pain in the groin): Slow down! -
Bend your knee, and grasp your thigh just below the knee. Two pulls, and at the same time,
put effort into straightening the knee .
- Weak neck, use a pillow!
Classical Pilates Technique: The Single Straight Leg Stretch, © Bruce Thomson, EasyVigour Project