Hip Joint Rotation in the Prone Position:- Start Position
Hip Joint Rotation in the Prone Position:- Action
- Lie on the floor face down with a cushion under your stomach - You may dispense with the cushion if you are
very proficient with your "zip and hollow".
- Place your hands under your forehead.
- Pelvic Neutral
- Anchor your scapulas.
- Chin gently tucked.
- Zip and hollow, and bend your left knee 90 degrees.
Watch Points for Hip Joint Rotation in the Prone Position:-
- Maintain zip and hollow and breathe in.
- (Breathing out): Slowly rotate your thigh so that your left foot points out to the side.
- Hold, and breathe in.
- (Breathing out): Slowly rotate your thigh so that your left foot now points over your buttocks.
- Five times each leg!
(Hip Joint Rotation in the Prone Position Scroll right>>>...)
- Maintain a strong "zip and hollow" -
- Do not let your pelvis rotate!
- Maintain scapular anchor.
What this exercise does-
Pictures: hip joint rotation in the prone position:-
Action- medial hip joint rotation in prone:-
Action- lateral hip joint rotation in prone:-
Note that we are not advocating spinal rigidity, we just
want you to move your hip joints first, before you move you lumbar spine! Refer "Comments".
- Teaches you to rotate your hip joint while not rotating your lumbar spine.
- This is a basic exercise to help combat rotational instability of the lumbar spine.
- The spine does "rotate", but most of that rotation should occur from the mid
spine upward(3) and not in the lumbar spine, except the very lowest joint (lumbo-sacral), and even then
not too much(2).
- Shirley A Sahrman: "Movement Impairment Syndromes" Publ. Mosby, 2002
- Bruce Thomson Pilates Exercise: Knee Drops
- Judith Lasater: Out of Joint - http://www.yogajournal.com/health/562_1.cfm
(Hip Joint Rotation in the Prone Position © Bruce Thomson, EasyVigour Project